Can you believe the kids around here got another 3 days off of school? I’m not questioning the decisions made by the schools, the wind chills were hovering around the -20 mark for days. Not safe for those who have to walk or wait at a bus stop. But man, I feel like Griffin was home more than at school in January. Anyway, hopefully everything will be back to normal now. Although I’m not holding my breath since it is still winter and I do live in Michigan.
Let’s roll with this mash up…
- With all of the cold weather, Griffin had another swim meet cancelled. Also, the meet that was supposed to happen that Friday they missed school was supposed to be rescheduled for Wednesday, so I guess he missed two meets. Being as the county swim meet was Saturday, it was really a terrible week for the boys to not only miss out on meets, but also on practice. They only had two days of practice (after 5 straight days off) before counties!
- Griffin was close to making his cut times for counties and probably would have if not for the missed meets. He was still able to go to counties as part of his school’s relay teams
- Speaking of counties, it was a loooong day. I thought it started at 10 but it started at 11. Since it’s always super crowded I try to get there an hour early so I can get a decent seat. So that means I was there 2 hours early! Ugh! I got there around 9 am and it was over around 3 pm. Imagine sitting on metal bleachers for that long. My back and tush are not happy with me!
- Am I the only one who was in total shock to find out Phillip Seymour Hoffman died? Oddly enough, I was at a funeral for the late morning until midafternoon on Sunday so didn’t find out until later in the afternoon. I honestly thought it was one of those weird internet hoaxes at first. Crazy! I really wish these celebrities would realize what they are doing to themselves. He was a great actor and still so young. What a waste!
- January 2014 is now on the record books as the snowiest month (not just the snowiest January, but the snowiest MONTH) in the Detroit area since February 1908. We received 39.1 inches, almost (but not quite) a whole inch over the old record!
Other bits from On The Line:
- Someone posted this on Facebook a few days before the Super Bowl and the first one had me laughing my butt off. I’ll do a separate post on the Super Bowl. For now, enjoy these so-called banned Doritos commercials.
- All right all you Whovians, what do you think of the new Doctor’s look? I’m loving the red lining on the coat. It’s always hard to get used to a new Doctor, but this picture sure is helping me to accept Peter Capaldi.
- I mentioned in a previous post that Starz is doing an original series based on one of my favorite series, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I am such a sucker for a Scottish accent so this little teaser video makes me smile big. Helloooo Jamie!
- This is so cool! If I ever have the time and money to finally visit my little sister out there, I will be on the lookout for this guy’s creations.
- One of my very favorite television shows is So You Think You Can Dance. Therefore, I cannot help but love this video. Even if you’re not a fan of dancing, you’ll laugh at this video…I promise. My favorite was the “seriously get your damn hands off me”. Too funny!
Here are my books for this week. I mean book. I only finished one. There are two reasons for that; I haven’t had as much free time and I’m bound and determined to read one of the longer books I’m currently rereading. Since it’s a reread, I fall asleep at night easier while since I know what’s going to happen. That means it takes longer to read, of course.
So I think I need to make a big copy of this and hang it over the couch:
On slate for this week:
Swim meets, of course! Two this week, one a make-up of one of the missed meets. Boy oh boy do I have laundry to catch up on, too. I don’t know why I’ve let it get so piled up. And I believe we’re finally having book club on Sunday. Yay! I guess I should get back to that book and finish it.
What are you up to this week?