I hope you all had a great Easter. It was gorgeous here, it actually seemed like Spring!
- We used our new smoker to smoke a turkey breast and I roasted some sweet potatoes using this recipe (which was very good) and some purple asparagus (olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper in oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes). It was all very yummy. It was our first try at turkey in the smoker and we all agreed it was a great success. Not your traditional ham for Easter, but delicious!
- We’ve also tried brisket, hamburgers, mac & cheese, and various cheeses in the smoker. The burgers were super good. The brisket needs some work. I’m starting to come to the realization that I’m not a huge fan of hickory smoking. I think it’s too bitter (?) for my taste. It was the recommended wood for most of the things we made. For the cheese we used sharp cheddar, gouda and jalapeno cheddar. The different recipes we’ve read suggest waiting anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks to let the flavors settle. I’ll tell you, day one it was NOT good. We are now waiting for the 2 week mark and fingers crossed! My hubby couldn’t wait to try a different method so he smoked some more sharp cheddar yesterday with cherry wood. That one smelled much better when it came out and I’m excited to try it after it sits a while.
- We got that predicted snow last week…3 inches! The good news, it catapulted us over the record so at least we can now say we lived through the snowiest season ever in Michigan.
- Griffin has officially started his job. He has to do a bit of training hours and a bunch of shadowing hours at first so he’s working a lot right now. After that’s all out of the way he’ll most likely be getting about 12-15 hours a week. Just perfect for a 16 year old.
- For some reason I thought the new season of Orphan Black started today when, in fact, it started Saturday. Bummer. Good think BBC America is showing it again. I’ll have to do a blog post on the show. It’s soooo good!
- Have you seen these? Griffin and I saw them while in line at the grocery store and couldn’t resist. Neither of us were fans though. They really didn’t taste like birthday cake, more like big M&M’s. Oh well, it’s not like I need more sweets to tempt me.
Other bit from On the Line:
- I guess I’m a real child of the 80’s. I marked off 73 of the 80.
- That put me in a nostalgic mood, so I took this quiz to see which 90’s cartoon I am. I got Daria. I didn’t regularly watch Daria, but when I did I commiserated with her.
You’re super cool and laid-back, probably a hipster. You’re extremely witty and also a bit cynical. You more than likely grew up in the suburbs and had a hard time fitting in with those around you.
- Even though the last season was a bit of a disappointment, all in all I LOVED The Office. Have you seen this “stare machine”? Hilarious!
- We accidently came across this Syfy show. If you like comics and cheesy-ness you may want to check this out. I haven’t read the comics, but I have a feeling they are trying to do an almost word for word, shot by shot adaptation and that’s what makes it cheesy. But fabulously so. We watched a couple of episodes on demand and had a lot of fun!
Favorite Podcast of the Week:
Since I really want to encourage you all to watch Orphan Black, I’m going to point you to this episode of Pop Culture Happy Hour in which they discuss the show. I love this group of writers. The keep me informed and laughing every week.
Books I Finished This Week:
I’m trying to figure out why I decided to do a re-read of the J.D. Robb books when I’m already in middle of another re-read. I got the first six or so for a steal from Amazon’s “deal of the day” a while back. I am wait listed at the library for the next in the series of the two series I’ve been borrowing through them. The next book in the series I’ve been purchasing didn’t come out until today. I figured I was reading enough series and didn’t want to start another new series, so instead I picked up an old one. Hopefully I read the whole Eve Dallas series this time though. I’ve always stopped around the 6th book because that’s when I was put on a waiting list. This time it will come directly to my Kindle so I’m sure I’ll see it through. It’s nothing against the series that I stopped, I really enjoy the books.
On tap for this week:
My mother-in-law came back to town today to go to see a specialist down here tomorrow. Herb took the day off and we’re all going to go together so we make sure all the right questions are asked and answered. Long story, but the short version is she destroyed her rotator cuff a few years back and has not been able to use her left arm for much of anything since. We’ll see if he can help with that…and with the pain. She’ll head back home either tomorrow after the appointment or Wednesday early. Other than that, not much going on around here.
If you have any great recipes for the smoker, please let me know. We’re having fun experimenting and will be open to any suggestions!