Happy July!!! When I last popped in here, I told you I was switching my Monday Mash-Up to a Monthly Mash-Up. I said I would either be posting the first or last Monday of the month…I lied. I decided to set my goal for the 1st of the month instead. With that being said, on with the show!
- Since I’ve been here my mother-in-law has completed her first course of therapy and gone home. Boy, did that PT eat up my time! Even more than I anticipated with the way it was situated in middle of the day. She returned to her home on Friday and will do her next course of PT up there. She has another follow up in August, but so far so good!
- School’s out for summer!!!! Yay! Griffin got his summer schedule at the pool and he’s happy because he got 4 days a week, not so happy about never having 2 days off in a row. He works Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. This week he’s subbing for some people so he’s working every day. Guess what? He still hasn’t had enough practice time with driving so I’m his chauffer. Kind of sucks, but it’s led to some extra exercise…
- The community center Griffin works at has a beautiful walking path that’s about 1.25 miles around. Our city is pretty big…it’s mostly suburban but still a large place. We have some beautiful parks though. The center was a high school many years ago and instead of getting rid of the football field and track, they refurbished them for the use of the local parks and rec leagues. I’ve been going to pick Griff up about an hour early and walking twice around the path and, on days I have time, I’ll head over to the field and run up and down the bleacher stairs. Whew! That’s a workout!
- My nephew, Nathan, has had a little birthday/camping trip for a bunch of friends up north the last few years. His dad’s girlfriend Liz (who you may remember from book club) has a place on the west side of the state that her dad passed on to her and her sisters when he died. It sits on almost 40 acres of land, mostly trees. The boys sleep in a clearing while the adults (although the “kids” are mostly adults now) stay in the house to sleep. Instead of doing his trip in May (when his birthday is) this year, he decided to move it to June for warmer weather. I never had the opportunity to join them, but I did this year! My sister Gina was visiting and I wanted to spend more time with her. So Griffin and I (Josh & Herb had to work) just got home Sunday evening, covered in misquito bites and sunburns. I took quite a few pics and I’m working on a post about the weekend. You may have seen our bonfire on Instagram though.
- I’m still trying to get a garden post completed. I have learned so much this year. Please be patient.
- My husband and I are going to have a sort of honeymoon after almost 22 years of marriage. He’s being sent to Orlando at the end of July for work and they suggested he take some extra days and take me along. Since the boys are finally old enough for us to leave them on their own and, although Griffin has a lot going on, school is on break it’s the perfect time. Well, beside the fact that it’s going to be as hot as Hades in Florida in late July! I’ve been to Orlando twice, both times for work with no real free time. We know we’re definitely going to do Epcot one day. We’re trying to decide between Universal Studio’s main park or Islands of Adventure. We don’t want to spend too much money and we have limited days. We’ll fly in on a Monday then have Tuesday and Wednesday to ourselves. On Thursday we will drive down/over to Melbourne and I’ll have the day there to myself while Herb continues on to Jupiter to spend the day at the branch office there for work. On Friday he’ll spend about half the day at the Melbourne branch and we’ll return to Orlando. We’ll have Saturday to ourselves but he has a conference to attend on Sunday. Monday will be home again. I’ll have my Kindle loaded with books for my alone time so I can get lots of reading done in the sun!
Other bits from On the Line:
- Although my kids are older now, I remember the days of trying to hold a conversation while keeping and eye and ear on them. I wish I would have been able to share this hilarious insight into a mom’s life, especially since I had kids so young making me the only one with kids for many years.
- Lately, I’ve been torn between being annoyed that everyone seems to think a marriage proposal (or Prom invite or Homecoming invite) has to be a big flashy thing and loving when that big flashy proposal is so heartfelt and beautiful I cry over people I never even met.
- Disregard the stats in this piece (since they are drastically padded) and focus on the invention. Why don’t we have these in every classroom in every school in the country?
- I’m so happy someone understands the woes of having what I now know is called “chronic bitch face“. I’m a nice person, I swear! Apparently when I don’t have an active expression on my face I either look sad or mad. That’s just the way I’m made.
- I have a few Outlander tidbits today since it’s been a while. We have Tulach Ard and dinna fash, as well as a Happy Birthday message from Jamie himself!
Favorite Podcast of the Month:
So this is much harder to do on a monthly basis since I love all of the podcasts that I listen to and they all seem to put out such great content. But this month I’ll go with one from 99% Invisible again. Episode 114: Ten Thousand Years explores how the government tried to come up with a way to warn very future generations of toxic dangers…what language, pictures, etc. they should use. Very fascinating and something I had never thought of before.
Favorite Blog of the Month:
I came across the blog Simply Scratch late last year and have been loving it ever since. For one, it’s written by another Michigan girl. But more importantly, I love her recipes. I’ve made many of them and they are always a hit in my house. I haven’t tried her Stromboli yet, but with how much my family love my calzones I have a feeling they’ll be gaga over them.
Books I Finished Last Month:
On tap for this month:
I touched on our “honeymoon”. We also have a Tigers baseball game at the end of the month with Herb’s work. Griffin will start OCS at the high school (mini-camp for incoming Freshmen) next week and swim camp with his team the week after that. And getting ready for my family reunion that is the first week of August. No plans for the 4th yet, though. Probably relaxing at home together for once.
What are your plans for Independence Day?